Best Fridge for Van Life 2020
- No ice- ever. Except making ice for drinks. Noise : 42.00 dB(A)
- Flexibility- refrigerate or freeze to -7F.
- Ultra low power consumption using AC or DC means its great for solar setups or other off-grid applications
- Heavy-duty design with reinforced corners and a robust closing mechanism
- Downsize to 2/3 the size of a traditional cooler- don't need to take up space with ice
The Dometic 12V Electric Powered fridge is a high-technology fridge and comes with good quality construction material. This fridge provides you with remarkable cooling temperature and consumes low power.
The body of the fridge is stainless, with sturdy lid lining. This fridge comes in different models, and each model has innovative functions. They are lightweight, portable, compact, and have a fantastic feature of controlling the temperature through a Wi-fi app.
The freezer has a dual cooling compartment. The deep freezer has a compressor that reaches -7 degrees and is very high in performance. The compressor uses AC, DC, and solar power.
The product comes with a 3-Stage Dynamic Battery Protection System. It shuts the product off and saves the battery from dying and enhances the vehicle’s battery performance. The fridge has an advanced technology LED light interior. This fridge is best for road trips and van life.
Portable and compact
Low energy consumption
Makes no noise
Cooling temperature can be controlled through Wi-fi app
The carrying handles are folding and save a lot of space
The interior has LED lights
Comes with a USB port for charging small electronics
It is expensive
Comes with no in-built battery
- 34 Quarts or 48 cans (12FL oz) capacity; Adjustable temperature range: -8F to 50F; LED temperature display; Fast Freeze mode rapidly cools to -8F
- Car, RV and home use; Operates as a refrigerator or freezer; work with 12/24V DC and 110V AC power; Voltage power AC (115V/ 60Hz 1.0A A) or DC (12V/24V 5.2A /2.6A Car Lighter Socket); unit can be plugged in with both AC power and the DC power at the same time. If both AC and DC are plugged in at the same time, then the unit will primarily operate on AC. If the AC power source fails, DC will become primary power supply source.
- 8-feet AC power cord and 10-feet DC power cord; Two removable wire baskets; Insulated lid and walls; ETL approved
- Power low indicator; Functions even when tilted 30; Tough and solid outer plastic housing; Drain Plug for easy cleaning; Stainless steel side handles; Non-slip rubber mat that maintains grip on the surface of the portable freezer to prevent drinks from spilling or sliding; USB port outlet
- Wattage: 70 Watts. Net weight: 42 LB. Internal dimensions: 10" W x 20" L x 12" H. 45.5 dBA
The Whynter fridge is compact and has sufficient space to store your food supplies. This fridge is built for recreational trips and van life. The temperature is adjustable and has a range of -8 degrees to 50 degrees. The freezer cools rapidly when at -8 degrees.
It works with 12V AC and 110V DC power. It can be operated on both AC and DC at the same time. When the AC power source is not available or fails, the DC power source becomes the primary power source.
The design of this fridge is very sturdy and heavy-duty, that is the reason this is best suited for use in vehicles. The AC cord is 8-feet, and the DC cord 10-feet long both are enough for a portable fridge.
It also has two removable wire baskets, a lid that is insulated and insulated walls. The outer housing of the fridge is very tough, although it is made of plastic. There is also a drain plug that aids fast and easy cleaning. The fridge has a low power indicator and works perfectly even if tilted at an angle of 30 degrees, which may happen during your travels.
The handles are of stainless steel, and the freezer has a non-slip mat that prevents the drinks from spilling.
Compact and portable
Operates on 12V AC or 110V DC
Low power indicator
USB port for charging small electronics
The carrying handles are of stainless-steel
The freezer has a non-slip rubber mat
High in performance
Fast freezer mode
The molded cable is hard to use
It is expensive
- Compact Capacity This portable car refrigerator has a capacity of 1.7 cu ft and can hold up to 60 bottles of beverage or 18 bottles of red wine. Great for carrying it when you travelling and camping. The handles on both sides allow you to move it to any desired location. This product is not for sale in california.
- Versatile DesignOur car refrigerator has 2 areas for refrigeration where different items can be placed in different areas. Removable partitions allow you to store items reasonably. And it has an easy-to-operate display panel to control the temperature and switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
- High-quality CompressorWith compressor cooling technology, our car freezer can achieve rapid cooling from -4F to 68F. Whats more, the low noise design of portable freezer provides a quiet environment. With memory function, there is no need to reset the temperature when replacing the power supply.
- High Efficiency ConsumptionThe high efficiency car fridge has exceptionally low energy consumption with an energy saving design. It can keep your food chilled or frozen easily with an excellent cooling performance without consuming too much energy. It's a good choice to save your cost.
- Intelligent Battery ProtectionThe car fridge is equipped with a 3-level battery monitor to protect your automobile batteries. And it has shock-proof design to face the uneven road. Also, it can work with a standard household 100V to 240V outlet or a 12/24V power source, like an automotive battery.
The Costway 53-Quart fridge is a compact, portable, and high-performance fridge for RVs. It is the best option to carry with you if you are going on a road trip or camping. The fridge has handles on the sides that help in carrying it with ease to your desired location.
It has a 2-in-1 design: a freezer and a fridge. You can place different items in both compartments, and both work differently. It comes with a removable partition that allows you to organize your food supplies easily.
It also has a display panel from where you can control the temperature settings and can switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius. The cooling compressor has high-technology and can achieve fast cooling temperatures from -4°F to 68°F.
The fridge does not make any kind of noise, and the compact design is very space friendly. It has an innovative memory function, so; you don’t need to reset the temperature while changing the power supply.
The fridge has remarkable low energy consumption and high efficiency. If you want to save money and buy an extremely innovative fridge for your van, then this is the best option for you.
Compact and portable
Temperature control display panel
Fast cooling compressor
It is very quiet
Has an innovative memory function
3-stage battery monitor
Can operate on 12V or 100V power supply
It might require some heavy wiring
- IMPACT-RESISTANT CAPS - Provide insulated protective cover as gift for long-lasting use. The shockproof design makes the refrigerator could withstand the hard environment. Sturdy and durable platinum paint shell for long-term using, heavy-duty corner-cap, built-in spring steel handles.
- INGENIOUS DESIGN - 18.8 inches height, perfect match pick-up truck tonneau cover.
- MULTI-USE & BUILT-IN AC ADAPTER - Includes 2 power cables to separately connect with 12/24V DC and 110V to 240V AC power for Vehicle and Home. Built-in AC adaptor, easy to connect with socket.
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - SECOP Compressor, R134a-CFC Free refrigerator gas, fast cooling; ETL Certificate; Global Product Insurance.
- LARGE CAPACITY & DUAL-ZONE DESIGN - 89 Can/355ml Capacity, dual-zone cooling compartment. You can set the same temperature for the freezer on both sides or set be cooler than the other. Moreover, you can choose to turn off one zone for the purpose of energy-saving or capacity requirements.
The heavy-duty and sturdy ICECO Dual Zone fridge is the best option if you are going on a rough road trip. It has an advanced function that allows it to operate even if tilted at 40 degrees.
It can be run on both regular 110V AC and 12V DC. It is safe to use on a vehicle or at home. The insulation makes it durable and keeps the food supplies fresh for hours. The shock-proof design of the fridge makes it safe to be used on rough or uneven roads.
The shell is platinum painted and is sturdy and durable. The built-in spring steel handles and corner-cap makes it stand out in the competition against other portable fridges. It has a SECOP Compressor that cools the fridge fast.
It has spacious space to store drinks and other food supplies for a long weekend trip. You can control the temperature of the freezer and fridge. Moreover, you can also turn off one compartment to save energy.
Sturdy and heavy-duty
Compact and portable
Can turn off one compartment
Fast cooling compressor
Can operate on 12V/24V DC and 100V AC
The adapter might be a little loose
- FREEZES WITHOUT ICE: -4F(-20C) deep chilling down performance ,can be a fridge and freezer.Run great with your small solar system as well.
- STORAGE SPACE: Exterior Size- 22.4"x12.6"x10.2".16 Quart(15 Liter) capacity ,fits 20 cans of Cola.
- CAR BATTERY PROTECTION:With temperature memory function and 3 different levels for battery protection: Low, Med and High to protect your vehicle battery without run down.
- STRONG PLASTIC MATERIAL:Light weight but durable and easy transport to anywhere.
- KEEP COOLING AND FRESH:Reliable sealing property construction,thick and high Density Foam Insulation.Continues keep cooling performance during your journey.Fresh all way and super energy saving!
Looking for a portable fridge that is compact and high-performance? The Alpicool C15 is the best to buy for comfortable van life. It is light in weight and has sufficient capacity for storing food supplies.
It works best for vehicles having a solar system. The cooling compressor is rapid and cools without ice to -4°Fahrenheit. It has a battery protection feature with three levels: low, medium, and high. It protects the battery of your vehicle and turns off the fridge before damaging the vehicle’s battery.
The construction material is plastic, but it is durable, sturdy, and lightweight. The insulation around the fridge is thick enough to keep your food fresh and cool. The seal is tight enough to keep food clean throughout your journey.
The handles on the side make it easy to transport it to your desired location. The shock-proof design keeps it safe on rough and uneven roads. It comes with a temperature control digital panel. The compressor has high-efficiency features, ECO, and HH modes. It can be operated on 12V/24V DC or regular 110V/240V AC power supply.
Compact and portable
Rapid cooling compressor
ECO and HH modes compressor
A 3-stage battery protection system
Can run on 110V AC or 12V DC
Digital temperature control panel
Don’t have dual-compartment technology
Buying the best fridge is possible if you have proper knowledge of your requirements and characteristics of the fridge you want to buy. Make sure that you choose the best product that is portable, high-quality and durable.
Investing in innovative products saves you from a lot of problems in old products. If you want a 12V fridge with innovative features, buy Dometic Models. If you are looking for a budget-friendly van fridge, go for Alpicool and the Costway.
Buying the best fridges for van is a difficult task without proper guidance. You should know the essential factors before investing in these compact and portable fridges.
Types of Van Fridges
12 Volt Fridges
These fridges run on 12V DC power supply. They are the most common type of fridges for van life. They use less power, and maintenance is also easy. They can also run on solar energy. However, these fridges cost more, and the price ranges from $350-$2000.
100 Volt fridge
These fridges are similar to the ones we have in our homes, but smaller in size. They usually have more space, and the price range is from $100-$250. One hundred-volt fridge is an excellent option if you want to save some money.
The main downside is that they consume more power than 12V fridges. These are not an excellent option to invest in because you also have other appliances to run inside your van.
Propane fridges run on AC or DC or propane. These are comparatively large, consume less power, and have a propane-based cooling system. The propane-based cooling system keeps the food fresh and not the compressor.
The propane heats the ammonia, hydrogen gas, and water stored in the tubes inside the fridge. These fluids, after heating, move in the tubes creating evaporation and condensation. This process cools the tubes inside the fridge and keeps the food cool through absorption. Buy these if you have an extra propane tank.
The size of the fridge is a significant factor. You must know how much space your van has. There are different sizes of fridges available in the market, and what size you buy depends on your needs.
Once you have decided the location for the fridge in your van and taken the measurements, then you can choose an appropriately sized fridge.
These are compact, and the lid opens like a drawer. They have wheels on it and are typically expensive because of the innovative design.
These are small but spacious van fridges. This is the most common style of fridges for van life. They are easy to install and are cheaper.
This style of fridge gives a feeling of a home fridge. It has two compartments and shelves on the door. It is smaller than chest style, but you don’t have to bend over to use it.
There are a variety of van fridges available in the market. Some fridges run on 12 Volt DC, 100 Volt AC or solar energy. All the fridges have different power usage and most feasible are the ones that run on 12V DC.
The van fridges must be lightweight and compact. It makes it easy to move the fridge to your desired location in your van. Large fridges, on the other hand, are difficult to move and carry. Portable fridges can also be used on camping trips are they are easy to carry.
There are many excellent qualities now available in van fridges. Dual compartments with separation lid: one for the freezer and other for the fridge. Shock-absorber is another unique feature that keeps the fridge safe and running on uneven roads. The rapid cooling compressor for keeping the food fresh is also a great feature.
Cost and Warranty
The portable fridges tend to be expensive and high-quality, as they are advanced and have unique technology. Cheap fridges tend to have fewer features. You need to write down your budget, and then choose a fridge that fits that budget and has excellent features at the same time.
fridges with extended warranty tend to last longer. Good manufacturing companies always make a durable product and hence, offer a warranty period on their products.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is a van fridge?
It is a compact and small version of a fridge similar to the ones we have in our homes. These are featured with a system that runs on a car engine. They are easy to carry and install in Rvs on your camping trips.
Q: How do van fridges work?
The van fridges work by expelling heat from the storage facility and lower the temperature of the fridge. That is the reason most vans have in-built condensers. The condenser has coil connected tubes and fans. The fan passes air over the condenser coil, which turns the hot gas in the cells into liquid. The heat is then dissipated to the atmosphere while the cooled liquid moves to the compressor.
Q: Do van fridges have an overnight standby function?
People who are planning to keep their food in van fridges overnight can buy an electric standby add-on. It requires an external power source to maintain the inside temperature. It also reduces the power usage of the vehicle.